Monday, October 17, 2005

Sawm

I've been toying with the idea of fasting for a day or two in the spirit of Ramadan Month of the Muslims. So, today I've decided to fast for a day tomorrow - Tuesday. It would be interesting to experience what an adult Muslim does yearly as their act of worship to Allah.

For my Canadian readers who are not familiar with sawm (Arabic) or puasa (Malay), here's Islam 101 for you:

There are five pillars of Islam - The Essential Practices in Islam.

1. Confession of faith - Shahaadah
2. Regular specific prayers - Salah
3. Regular contributing of the specified poor due - Zakah
4. Fasting during the month of Ramadan - Sawm
5. Pilgrimage to Mecca - Hajj

Sawm (fasting) is the fourth pillar in Islam and is expected from every adult. It is performed on the 9th month of the Islamic Calendar.

Here are the guidelines of sawm:

1. Starts from dawn to dusk (In Canada; 6am-6.40pm)
2. Abstinence from eating
3. Abstinence from drinking (water as well as alcohol)
4. Abstinence from smoking
5. Abstinence from sex
6. Can't swallow your own saliva

(Note: Alcohol consumption is debatable depending on which "sect" you are from. Some "sect" prohibits drinking altogether in a Muslim's life)

I think abstinence from food wouldn't be too hard for me since I've fasted before in my own faith for prayer reasons. However, it would be a challenge to fast on water for the entire day...never tried that before. Hmmm, hopefully I'll survive and not pengsan (faint). As for guideline number six, honestly I'm not sure how I'm going to stop swallowing my saliva...ermm, will try that...

I've always admired my Muslim friends back home in Malaysia who would fast for the entire month. There must be a driving force in them to perform such a sacrificial act for an entire month as their act of worship to Allah.

Well, I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow and will tell ya bout my experience!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home