Monday, April 16, 2007

I got a GREEN Shopping Bag!

I went grocery shopping at Superstore today and I was SO EXCITED when I saw their Green Shopping Bag for sale right at the entrance. It really caught my attention because of the words like green.earth.water.energy.responsibility. Plus, the picture of the green bottle is so cool and I am so for recyclable-usable items so it made real sense to get one. And of course, it has the whole social theme on the bag which I want to be part of.

To some extent, I am glad that PC (brand) is emphasizing green initiatives. But on the other hand, it may be true that I am just another ethical consumer part of their target market which they know will purchase such items. It is also good for the company to flash out their green projects to boost their corporate social responsibility image. Now, maybe it is a marketing scheme (most probably yes), but it may also be that PC is genuine in wanting to be more environmentally friendly.

In any case, I LOVE my GREEN shopping bag!

4 Comments:

Blogger Joli said...

How much was th bag? I wanted to get a reusable water bottle from Earth Water, but it cost $20... you'll have to lower the prices once you start working there :P !!!

8:26 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

It was only 99 cents!!!! Such an amazing price for a REUSABLE shopping bag.

When a retailer sells a product, there have already been at least two mark-ups. The retailer-shop that you saw the bottle have already put a mark-up from the price Earth Water sells it to them for. Earth Water procures those bottle from manufacturers, who are also taking a profit. The manufacturer gets the reusable plastic/material from another producer, who also takes in a profit.

So, I will see how much markup EW charges, but often times the retailer is the one who has the highest markup.

8:46 PM  
Blogger a passing cloud said...

It's all cool to be green now after Al Gore made it hip to love our earth, but what everyone needs to do is to make positive lifestyle changes, rather than just wanting to identify with a movement just cos it's 'in'. So, turn off the air-cond when not in use, guys.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

a passing cloud,

I can't agree more with you. Every person on this planet can make a difference to be more environmentally friendly -- they just have to ACT -- every single day.

However, having said that, humanity has a choice -- how far should we go with this "environmentally friendly" gesture -- bare minimum, adequate or beyond?

Ah, you guys in Malaysia turn off your air-con lah. Here in Canada we can't turn off our heater -- it is WAAAAAY too cold!

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home