Sunday, August 06, 2006

Miracles do happen!

Like some of you know, I live with my Aunt SY who is an atheist. Not only does she not believe in the existence of God, but she happens to hate Christians and the Christian-God. But one thing which attracts her to Church is the choir. Yea...she loves the choir. So anyways, I have family visiting and my Aunt SY read about the Taiwanese Children Choir which is in town and wanted to bring my visiting family to watch the choir.

At first, I had to think a little if I wanted to follow them or go to my Church - Central Tabernacle (which recently changed its name to North Pointe) and it was a small struggle coz I had missed church last week to have Dim Sum with family and was really hoping to go to Church this week. So anyway, like I said, my aunt doesn't like to step into church, and somehow (I don't know why) she chose to go watch the Choir on a Sunday Service instead of one at night. Weird? Naturally, I think she knows that the Choir on a Sunday Service would entail the regular singing, prayer and sermon...but somehow, she chose that. I think the last time she stepped into a church was two years ago when it so happened to be a venue for a local chinese choir. So anyways, I thought it was a great opportunity to go to Church with her on a real regular sunday service though to be honest, I'm er...chinese illiterate. Yes, after four years of Mandarin tuition with 'Chai Lou Si' with Ee Mei, I can't read or write Chinese!

On the way to Church, I prayed so hard that the message won't be CONDEMNING non-believers of their sins and that hell's gate was waiting for them...and that the service would just be simple and non-threatening. The first praise and worship song (er, I think I recognized four chinese characters) and didn't understand the entire song. It was then taken over by the Taiwanese Children's Choir and they presented about six songs in Mandarin. Thankfully, there was English translation on the OHP and I could understand what they were singing! Whew! They sang all Chinese Christian Songs...and I was so glad when they sang my Aunt SY's favourite song - Handel's Messiah. The last song they sang was a really touching piece: Unseen Hand (author unknown) which was talking about God's tangible love though they can't see God.

The sermon was long by my Aunt's standard and she was shifting uncomfortably in her seat but hadn't been as rude to leave right after the choir performed. I liked the sermon quite a bit coz I actually understood it (amazing, my ears were opened, eh?) The pastor was funny and used interesting analogies to explain the Scriptures. Half of the sermon was evangelistic, and I think he presented it in such a sincere manner that really spoke to the heart.

Naturally, my Aunt complained that the sermon was too long and the choir was too short, but the fact that she actually stepped into church and listened through was a breakthrough. Please pray with me that the lyrics of the chinese choir will stay with her - continue to touch her heart, and that words from the sermon will ring in her ears and touch her heart that the Unseen Hand is indeed real.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen to that sis!!

Cheers,
Chin Wee

12:15 AM  
Blogger tim m said...

Great post on the power of prayer .......

2:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keke I believe I feel the exact same way in a Chinese church! Great post. You're so inspiring.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

hey mei,

exact way as in as chinese illiterate as me or...?

me inspiring? hahahah!

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home