Thursday, July 27, 2006

Last night...

after a long day, I was ready to go to bed at 11pm. I switched off the lights, and out of habit drew my curtain and looked out the window. It caught me off guard at first, as I was not expecting it. The mixture of blue, greenish and turquoise colours against the black pitch sky simply took my breath away. It was simply amazing. Beautiful. What I saw was the Northern Lights, also known as "aurora borealis." I'm not a scientific person, so I can't tell you what exactly it is. All I know about the Northern Lights is that it's the dancing lights which can be seen in its full magnificence in places faraway from civiliazation (no lights and tall buildings) at night in the polar zone. It dances with a variety of colours and it is said that the movement of its 'dance' is accompanied by its dancing sound. I didn't exactly saw it dancing last night since there was way too much street lights (I do live in a city) and blocked by roofs of houses. But still, it was very pretty, and I feel so blessed to see such a rarity happening in the very sky outside my window!

For more scientific people:

The aurora is now known to be caused by electrons of typical energy of 1-15 keV, i.e. the energy obtained by the electrons passing through a voltage difference of 1,000-15,000 volts. The light is produced when they collide with atoms of the upper atmosphere, typically at altitudes of 80-150 km. It tends to be dominated by emissions of atomic oxygen--the greenish line at 557.7 nm and (especially with electrons of lower energy and higher altitude) the dark-red line at 630.0 nm. Both these represent forbidden transitions of atomic oxygen from energy levels which (in absence of collisions) persist for a long time, accounting for the slow brightening and fading (0.5-1 sec) of auroral rays. Many other lines can also be observed, especially those of molecular nitrogen, and these vary much faster, revealing the true dynamic nature of the aurora.





http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_%28phenomenon%29

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

wow, that must have been amazing! I've always wanted to see that, it sounds like one of the most incredible things that God created! apart from humans of course! Come pop by my blog sometime

12:08 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

Hi Random Rambler,

Yes, it was just soooo amazing!!! God definitely has an extremely creative 'mind!'

Will definitely check your blog out. Thanks for visiting.

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No way! That is amazing, you lucky lucky girl.

All I get in the skies here are helicopters with those huge spotlights, scanning the city for fugitives. How boring.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

mei,

Hhahahaha! You funny girl! I'm just wondering if the helicopters were actually looking for you...

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course not me lah! I'm such a cherub *looks at Grace with innocent puppy eyes*

:P

2:53 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

er mei, if you're a cherub, then i guess i'm an angel, eh?

hahahah!!

7:26 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

I hope no helicopters are looking for me in Chicoutimi. A few days ago I accidentally set off a security system at a store here where an employee must have set the alarm without locking the door. I put the whole story on my blog.

Sounds like the northern lights you saw were better than any I've seen in the last several years. I've seen some good ones in recent years, but nothing multi-coloured.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

yikes!

well, it wasn't really multi coloured. it was like on the whole stretch of the sky, so the middle part was turquoise, and the ends were like greenish...

it's only my second time watching it...the first was when camille called me up to let me know it's on the sky. make sure you tell me too when you see it!

12:13 PM  
Blogger a passing cloud said...

I wanna see that too! And a twister. Here you just get haze (though it's not the annual haze season yet).

2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home