Saturday, September 03, 2005

Transitions

Transitions, transitions.

The International Centre's Transitions Orientation ended yesterday. This is my second time volunteering, and it's just awesome meeting people from all over the world.

I remember my first day of attending Transitions Orientation two years ago as a freshman. It was attended by around 500 undergrad and grad international students in a big great white tent in quad. In three days, they taught us the cultural differences we should be expecting to encounter, as not to be tooo culturally shocked by Canadians, academic tips, immigration laws, and the change to an extreme weather in Winter. Yeah, it's awfully cold here, and we had this fashion show on how to dress in all four seasons.

Everything was themed with being a 'transition.'

I was helping two Hong Kong guys settle their campus ID two days ago, and they asked me a classic question.

Them: So, when did you stop 'transition-ing' ar?

Me: Ermmm...wow, actually I think I still am 'transition-ing.' It's not like I have adapted 100% to the lifestyle here and am comfortably immersed here. I think it's a lifelong process...

Yeah, come to think about it, I think I am still adapting. I don't feel Canadian at all, as my roots as a Chinese Malaysian is deeply ingrained in me, hence I have different values and beliefs etc. But of course, it's a post modern world where tolerance is at work. However, it's still a very different way of life (though I do love it) but it's just...different.

Anyway, this is a pic of me and Vishi. Funny as it sounds, I met him at Transitions in my first year, and we kind of lost touch a little, but came back to volunteer at Transitions this year. It seems like deja vu when we were taking this picture right in front of Old Arts Building as we did two years ago!


Vishi and I Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Live from the internet, it's your best of Weblogs, Inc.
Posted Sep 3, 2005, 3:00 AM ET by Weblogs, Inc. The Weblogs, Inc. network features over 100 independent, unfiltered bloggers producing over 1,000 blog posts a week across over 75 industry-leading blogs.
Your blog is great If you work long hours I'm sure you'd be interested in Energy Drinks Think about Energy Drinks

10:06 AM  
Blogger Alex Iskandar said...

Cool T-Shirt! Where can I get one? Guess school's starting soon eh? Well, have fun :-)

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After the Storm blog
EDITOR'S NOTE: This daily roundup of Web and blogosphere coverage of Hurricane Katrina appears on the Web Site of the Sun Herald in Biloxi, Miss.
Interesting blog !
I am kind of new to blogging but I know how to create traffic to a web-site.
I have a free web advertising site.
It covers how to get some free web advertising .
Come and check it out if you a spare moment

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Text Messaging Services for Hurricane Katrina Victoms--Followup
Weblogs, Inc. on The Unofficial Google Weblog - Live from the internet, its your best of Weblogs, Inc.
Wickd !! Peep internet marketing consultant if you got somespare time,. Catchya ,.. Aj

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home