Friday, November 04, 2005

Viruses

The big bad little invisible virus. It is everywhere.

Case One
My computer got hit by viruses. Yes, notice the plurality in that - I have more than one virus in my computer. When my friend Adil called me to let me know, my first reaction was, "How is that possible?" Sighs...well, I guess it is possible since my computer contracted it. Life has been a little challenging and inconvenient without a computer and Internet. But, it is manageable.

Case Two
I got hit by a virus, or a bacteria. Not too sure yet. On Saturday night, I was coughing and coughing throughout the night, and I think that was the earliest symptom of the bug I contracted. I suspect that I got the bug from Paul when riding in his car back from Red Deer to Edmonton on Saturday. So, this week I have been trying to be my own doctor by:

1. Drinking lots of water as how a Doctor would prescribe
2. Taking Vitamin C twice a day (something I rarely do)

But to my dismay, the cough didn't go away, and was progressively getting worse during the week. I started panicking last night, because I NEED to get better by Wednesday. I'm making a trip to Calgary next week right after classes end on Wednesday since it the Remembrance Day long weekend holiday. Yes, I am visiting my aunt, and so, I need to be perfectly healthy and not spread any bug to her as that would be really really bad.

So, I finally decided to go to the doctor today hoping to get some antibiotic (as Paul claims to have a bacteria and not a virus). I say hoping, because doctors in Canada are pretty stringent, they won't give you a prescription just because you feel like taking the medicine. A small example: Two summers ago, I fell ill (pretty ill), and had everything you could imagine: flu, cough, fever etc. Worse of all was that I lost my voice - completely. Naturally, I went to the doctor's, and guess what he said? He told me to just go home and rest. I was enraged. I mean, I'm sure he could give me a prescription for antibiotics right? But no...his prescription was just more sleep and that my immune system will do the job of the medication. I went back to him after a week, still voiceless, and this time, he prescribed me antibiotics. So, there goes my story of how stringent doctors here are.

And, to top that off, doctors here only prescribe medication, they do not sell you the medication. In Malaysia, the doctors do this dual job: prescribing and selling you, all at the same time, same place. Very convenient. Here, there is a separation of duty between doctors and pharmacists. Doctors prescribe the medicine, and you have to go to a pharmacy to get the medicine. I am sure there are good points to the separation of duty; it being doctors will not misuse their ability to obtain medicine and sell it to whomever. And, pharmacists will also be able to check and know which doctor prescribed what, and if there is a basis for the prescription. I have to admit those are very good check and balance measures taken in this country. However, the downfall is the inconvenience to the residents...having to go from a clinic to a pharmacy to complete a "doctor's visit." I only wish a clinic were side by side to a pharmacy. That would be ideal.

So, anyway, back to my wanting to have a visit to the clinic today. At my 9am Law Class, I sat next to this coursemate, who happens to be a pharmacist (a working pharmacist in a law class, hmm...) and so I decided to ask for his opinion if the doctor would prescribe me antibiotics. Listening to my symptoms, he said the doctors will most likely not prescribe me antibiotics. My best bet is to just let my body recoup and/or take some cough syrup. Thanks, Patrick for the advice...so now I'm not going to waste two hours waiting in line at the University's clinic. Anyway, I'm going to get the cough syrup from my friend Geri.

Guys, please pray for a miracle. I need to get the viruses out of my life soon. Especially medically, I need it out by Wednesday.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Grace!!

Hope you're okay! Will be praying hard for you yar! And rest more and drink more! =D

Don't worry too much yar!

Always there for support,
Chin Wee

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey.. hope ya get well soon. You probably lack sleep. Go try get some.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home