Saturday, February 03, 2007

I need a new bubble

I think I am going through a personal dilemma. How is it possible that one can be so disturbed about the future? Why does it have to be so complicated really? Am I not supposed to be a dreamy girl wanting to marry an apple farmer and lead a simple life? Ok, so apparently it is not so simple.

THE FUTURE. What am I going to do in the future? I am not even talking about what jobs or which companies to work for, who to marry, how many kids to have etc etc. All I am thinking of is really what do I want to do in life? The answer to that is quite a simple one. I just want to make a difference. I want my life to mean something. I want to do something meaningful with my life. For a while, I had thought that the psycho-path corporation can be countered with a phenomenon called 'Corporate Social Responsibility.' I had thought that with the business training, I could use those skills to better society, to make meaning out of my job. All is well until I learnt more about 'Social Responsibility Marketing.' Apparently, some statistics show that corporations spend 6x more advertising their commitment to the community than they really do actively in donation to the charities they advertised for. The staggering number just tossed me out for a bit...making me lose the slightest hope I had in businesses, in capitalism. So maybe not all corporations are out there to get ya, but the majority are. They are plainly painting a good corporate front to attract more investors and clients (yes, $$$). I mean, really, how many social enterprises exist out there? And by that I mean real enterprises committed to social and environmental issues with authentic goodwill. The answer is there is a scarcity of those enterprises. Some people suggested I work for an NGO or NPO, but again the truth is that non profit organizations are fast becoming "for profit" and beauracratic to the point that there is no accountability to donors on where the bucks really go.

Sorry for the rant, but my little bubble has been burst, and I am trying to find some hope, any hope at all that there is hope in the business world. Who knows, maybe I will wake up tomorrow feeling fine again, regain my confidence in the business world and able to jump right in to work my ass off for dividends that will only enrich the rich investors. I can only hope it will happen.

Gosh, why do I have to be so damn concerned about social issues? I wished I could just be a plain capitalist pig.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least it wasn't me that burst your bubble this time... Well... I had tried, but you didn't listen. Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is nothing more than a marketing scheme to draw in more suckers to their business. The business world is mean and is only concerned with the all mighty dollar. Corporations must be accountable to their investors, and investors are only looking to make money. If sticking a CSR sticker on their business will mean making more money, they will do it, even if it means spending "6 times" the amount marketing it and not really being socially responsible. Companies will only invest in something (an idea, or otherwise) to keep the shareholders happy. They will take advantage of anything that sells.

This is not a new phenomenon. Take "organic" products for example. You can find many products labelled "organic" on the store shelf even though they contain 1% organic products within them. It's another marketing scheme to draw in people looking for "alternatives" to what they already consume. It sells, so its taken advantage of. Thus is life here in the west :)

But do not worry my little Gracie Poo. You have a good heart, and a smart brain. You will find something that interests you and makes you feel fulfilled... eventually. There is no rush. Take it easy and enjoy the ride. You will do good when the time comes... I'm sure of it.

1:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear, you were created to hope. You were made to make a change. You can't change your DNA.

*hugz* - Ps 32:8 -

God smiles down at you babe...and I am super proud of you. :)

5:17 AM  
Blogger athen said...

Nah, you don't wasnt to be a PIG =)

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home