Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Life Oh Life, Oh Life...

I can barely believe that 2006 is gone and over with and we are on the third day of the New Year. I wonder what 2007 will bring for me. Though I am uncertain of where I will be and what I will be doing after grad, one thing for sure is that a chapter of my life will be closed, and another opened.

On the dawn of New Year's, I woke up thinking that I want to make something out of myself. The only problem is that I am not sure what that 'something' really is. It can be a variety of things. Who knows, maybe it's becoming an apple farmer's wife with a thriving apple business, or being a social worker in Africa, starting a foundation or something really cool. Then other times I think, is it realistic to do something 'cool' and meaningful with your life? Many people I know just graduate, get into the working force and let work possess them until they have financial stability, which often is at the age near retirement. I am not trying to say that getting a job and working for the rest of your life is boring, because that is what the majority of the population do. And, it may be what I may do as well. But really, is there a possibility, maybe just a slight possibility that we may be able to do what we are passionate about in a meaningful way?

Then again, how do you find out what your ultimate goal is? I have many people asking me what I really really want to do in life. Although I am quite a driven person whom I would like to think have some direction, I actually have absolutely no idea. What is my end goal? Seriously, I can't crack my head to think of one. On a spiritual basis, I know what my end goal is, and I will work towards that. I want to end well for God, and a huge part of it is in the missions field. I would like to say that I want to bring that into my working environment as well -- being a shining light for God and making a difference in the lives of my colleagues. (That is if I am not called to full time ministry. Of which, I also have no idea as of yet). But, seriously, my end-goal isn't to become a CEO (unlike some of my peers) or to start up a business. Arghh. All I know is that I have many passions, and it's all intermingled into one huge bunch through politics, economics, global events, non-profit, CSR, SE and such. Ok, just so maybe I have thought about a dream job before, if that is at all relevant here. Mmm, don't laugh, but it is along the line of managing my own socially responsible mutual fund/catering to investors who are socially responsible, or being the head of the CSR department in an MNC (ok, most MNC DON'T have CSR departments, btw) or hmmm...start and manage my own foundation?
Anyways, see...that is why it is called a DREAM JOB, because jobs like that don't quite exist.

Anyways, sorry about my rant, it is just because I am beginning to look for a job and all these questions are zooming in my head. I feel like there is a fish caught up in my brain-tank swimming a merry-go-round. But don't fret my dear readers, I do have some small idea of what I want to do, and right now I am looking towards the financial industry. Ok, btw, for you non-business people, the financial industry is huge, with FI, Investments/Money Market/Capital Market, Insurance, Real Estate etc.

So...

Actually, there are quite a number of theories out there as to what to do when you grad. Some are along the lines of work for the Company in the industry you want to thrive in and work your way up. Another which I am more fond of was a tip given by my friend Jamie who said that it is no use trying to find the dream job as a fresh grad because sometimes we do not know what exactly we want to do, which industry we want to be in. If a good opportunity comes, we may as well take it. I think I will go along with her advice because it makes the most sense. Or maybe, it is just because I do not know what I want to make out of myself. Do you know what you want to make out of yourself?

2 Comments:

Blogger athen said...

clueless...

11:58 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

really? Now I don't feel as bad...

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home