Thursday, October 26, 2006

Hi, Can I speak to your daddy?

(on my cell phone)

Me: Umm, who are you?

Person: Silence...A friend

Me: Yeah, and your name?

Person: ...a friend.

Me: Silence. Look, we don't know you, so Bye!

click.

***

I cannot begin to tell you how frustrated I was yesterday, when I received four calls from telemarketers on the home phone (coz I skipped school all day to study for Fin 442 midterm today, which YAY, I'm done with!) and one on my cell phone. This is the second time someone called my cell phone wanting to speak to my "daddy." I mean, okay, fine, so everyone wants to speak to my daddy or mommy on the home phone (hey, do I really sound like a child or what?) but on my cell? The thing that bothers me is that cell phone numbers aren't public information, and thus, they should have no access to it unless my service provider have given/sold it to them. Shish...

Anyway, I've scripted my response for the next telemarketer calling my cell phone:-

***

Person: Hi, Can I speak to your daddy?

Me: It is not that my daddy doesn't want to speak to you, but I own and am the cell phone user. You and your cronies cannot be calling me as you like because this is an invasion of my privacy under the Alberta's Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA). I urge you to go to the webstite at http://www.pipa.gov.ab.ca/. Any questions?

Person: Silence.

Me: Good. Have a good day and God bless!

***

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

er...I don't think that the fella is a telemarketer. Seriously.


:P

7:53 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

You probably know more about Alberta politics and laws than the vast majority of Albertans.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Joli said...

Grace, this is the most hilarious blog I have ever read! No seriously, if you answered that telemarketer like you wrote here, and I was beside you, I would be on the floor, killing myself laughing!!!!!! Oh, I lo9ve you Grace, you are sooo cute!

8:57 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

min,

The first time round, a man called. Yesterday, it was a woman. And their starting line is "Hi, Can I speak to your daddy?" I don't know who would make calls like that and when I ask for their identity, or my dad's name, they can't tell me what it is. I hope it's not some dangerous people...

alex,

Well, you're very up to date on Albertan politics too!

jolie,

Well, the first time it happened, Jared was sending me home and he laughed quite a bit too (you can ask him how I answered the call)

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In most countries, telemarketers aren't allowed to do that. They are supposed to introduce themselves, their company and let you know what you want. And why would they want to speak to your daddy?

Ooooohh! You can tell the ppl about God. He's Daddy also mar...:D

1:06 AM  
Blogger Voon said...

Grace.. don't get mad at the person calling.. they're just doing their job. I tot you would understand since you once worked with something similar before..

Just politely clarify and say no la..

9:03 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

Hey Voon,

Yeah, I do understand the pains of being a telemarketer. However, one has to be calling legitimately, and in that case acquiring the phone number through a legal means and for a specific purpose. In the case of calling my cell phone, it is illegitimate, and when I asked them what is my dad's name, or who they are, they did not answer me. That clearly is being dishonest and not applying to the law.

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahah, Grace is still the same as ever!! =P

Cheers,
Chin Wee

10:03 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

Hi Chin Wee!!!

It's been long, how are YOU doing??

Me, the same? How so? Hahaa, maybe...but still busy as ever.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home