Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The D-word

Death. What a morbid word. With such a posting, I'm pretty sure I'm scaring away all my readers, if there are any left. The cancer is eating up my aunt, and her condition is deteriorating rather quickly. We can see the effects of her lung cancer progressing rapidly by her weasing breathing - it scares me to death.

Someone recently told me that death is a beautiful thing. I have never thought of it that way as death is usually associated with everything that is bad and dark. The person continues to say that life is celebrated at the very beginning through the birth - a miracle itself. We then celebrate the person's life year by year through a birthday celebration, then marriage, children, grandchildren and the last stage being death. It is a complete circle.

If only everyone could see death being a celebration instead of a depressing state. Could it be possible to see death that way? I am torn in between. A part of me would be depressed with the demise of my aunt, but a part of me wants her to go in peace - to no longer suffer.

Death to many is scary because of the uncertainty that it brings - what happens after death? Do we just stop functioning physically and mentally? Is there a spirit within each one of us? What if there is a hereafter? Or karma?

My newfound friend is right - death can be a beautiful thing, but to me, that is only if there is hope hereafter. And hope comes with embracing God's love for each one of us. If I have to, I will be politically incorrect to state my belief that The Bible holds the Truth and it writes:

I have come in order that you might have life - life to the fullest
John 10:10


Life to the fullest starts here and now, and for eternity.

I thank you Lord, for life and hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home