Friday, March 16, 2007

Fair Trade in Malaysia?

I have a new plan. Just in case I don't meet a German apple farmer, get married to him and steal his apples to start my business initiative, I have come up with Plan B.

I am starting to get really intrigued about the whole idea of fair trade and have been researching quite a bit for a research paper. I have yet to go knee deep research on fair trade in Malaysia, but preliminary research is showing me no official data on fair trade as a percentage of trade. North America and Europe shows an average of 0.5-5% of fair trade as a percentage of trade.

So anyways, if I don't meet the apple farmer dude, maybe I may startup a fair trade company in Malaysia.

How does that sound to you?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you choose to do is secondary...just come home...

5:20 AM  
Blogger Voon said...

what's a fair trade company like? A company that doesn't practice price discrimination.. or a company selling skin products? =P

7:01 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

Min,

But you may not even be home until a few more years! As of now I can't forsee where I will be in the long run -- we will see where the Lord leads...

Voon,
Hahahaha! Well, a fair trade company would be one that procures goods from "developing countries" with market rate cost, does not exploit them, uses no child labour and the list goes on and on...

Every company practices price discrimination to a certain extent -- especially if it is not a perfect competition good. So one that practices good corporate governance is a socially responsible corporation. Maybe I can start a CSR revolution in Malaysia? That would be cool too...

9:05 AM  
Blogger Joli said...

I think that's a great idea, Grace... I wish I had a more enterprising mind, and felt like starting things myself - it will be tough to start from scratch your own enterprise! Good Luck

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home