Thursday, January 03, 2008

Grace going half vegetarian?

Ya know, I didn't think that I would care so much about food. After all, I love my Ramli Burgers, Laksas, Ribs, Donairs (OH YUM!) and all. But, recently I've been slightly concerned about my food consumption. First of all, I am actually trying to be more healthy...so I am watching what I eat and hoping that it is the right proportion. Really, I am not anal about it, but being inspired by my colleague Sarah who eats grass (oops, sorry, I mean salad) everyday...I kinda think that fruits and salad is pretty good for ya. I eat bad sometimes, but normally have quite a balanced diet. In any case, something caught my attention today and made a small impact in my life. I was a lil shocked after reading an article today on the world's increasing food prices This fact blew me away this morning:

"It takes an estimated seven kilogrammes of corn or soy just to produce one kilogramme of meat."

Isn't that something? All of those resources being wasted away, on a proportion of 7:1 to produce a kg of meat! Woah! And really, the article continues to say that as developing countries (especially China and India) demands more meat, the world will increasingly (and currently does) face food price increases. Demand and Supply. Yes, there you go. Well, I am sure as humans become smarter, technology (biotech perhaps) will be able to bring up supply to a nice good equilibrium with stable food prices. But until then, it is a lot of strain on the land and people's pockets. Lotsa big ramifications with world food prices on the rise.

Anyways, to cut the long story short, I am not gona be a vegetarian (well, at least not now) but will aim to reduce the strain on our land by eating more fruits and vegetables. I went to groceries today, and believe it or not, I only bought fruits and vegetables (ok, that is beside the fact that I still have frozen meat in my freezer). In any case, I am gona eat more healthily with a larger proportion on vegetables and fruits. (Ok, but I will be on a break on this half vegetarian diet in February as I will be back home in Malaysia with LOTSA YUMMY FOOD!!! CAN'T WAIT)

What about you? Any thoughts on how food consumption affects the environment, economies and people in the rest of the world?

1 Comments:

Blogger Joli said...

Good for you Grace! Did I tell you that my family was pretty much veggetarian? Well, we still eat meat so that we might keep our ability to digest it, no more than that. It in enought to depress my dad and my brother!!! But as for myself, I might eat meat once every 2 weeks since it is so expensive, and also because it isn't good to eat too much of it. I really is better to eat at the bottom of the food chain! So beans are cheap, good, and filling. Plus, when you know the reciepes, they are quite versatile!!! I tend to stay away from tofu, not because I don't like it, but because it apparently contains a hormone that resembles that of estrogen (a female hormone), which may interfere with our own production of hormones. So that's my little bit of knowledge. My mom could say a lot more, though!

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home