Friday, January 21, 2005

Democracy

Democracy. So what exactly does that mean? Well, from my political science class, the most important element is that there are degrees of "democracy." In that it is not just "something," but it is how much of it. Hmmm. So here is my two cents. I think the simplified version of democracy simply means the people in a geographical country has a voice. Of course, most of the time a democracy happens with a majority voice; elections and such. But it is becoming more famous now to voice out minority concerns, and bills get passed in Parliament too, due to this "democracy" element. Now, how democratic is that if everyone is able to voice and get their interests passed as a bill? I don't know...it is certainly contentious. Take the case of Canada's same sex marriage issue in Parliament. Due to the fact that it is viewed as a violation of citizen's rights not to be able to get married in the eyes of the law, the governing party; The Liberals will be taking it to Parliament at the end of this month. The bill is expected to be passed - homosexuals being able to get married legally. Well, there are a few oppositions, mainly conservative Christians, but really, it's a lost case. Sad as it is. So...although I do have my sentiments on democracy and do believe in it, it really depends to what extent it is practiced. If it is such that everyone, all minority interests are given attention to and weirder bills are being passed, now, I don't know how democratic that is to a person like me.

Anyway, I was not really thinking about the Canadian issue when I was starting to write on democracy. I am really thinking of the U.S. case. So Bush got elected again. I personally don't know if that is more of a bad news or an okay news. Of course I like his evangelical aspect, but other than that, I don't quite agree with many of his policies.

So he was just sworn in yesterday, and pledged to spread liberty and freedom "to the darkest corners of the world." Wow! I don't know if that sounds heroic or "ganas!"
Well, I don't know how "democractic" it is to barge in a country without the people having a voice/say in it, and trying to turn it into a democractic country. Wanting democracy for a country is good, but by just invading it, isn't that undemocratic to the people of the country since they really didn't have a say on it? I don't know, it is so contradictory! I am just saying that there must be a better way to influence other countries to see the good of being a democratic country, by obeying UN and being ethical at the same time.

Of course, world politics is complicated...but there must be a better way.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home